Frequently Asked Questions

We have provided a list of the most frequently asked questions that we encounter here at the Claims Commission, we hope that these will be helpful to you in your search for information.

Q. Is there a filing fee?
A. No.
Q. Can I fax you a form?
A. No, claims forms must be originals and they must be notarized.
Q. After I file my claim, how long does it normally take for the matter to be resolved?
A. That depends on the circumstances of the claim and the agency response, but you may expect, at minimum, a 6-8 week resolution time frame.
Q. Will the Claims Commission notify the Respondent for me?
A. Yes.
Q. How many copies of claims and answers do you need?
A. We require the original, plus 4 copies.  If you would like a file marked copy back, you will need to provide the original and 5 copies.
Q. What will happen in the Respondent agency denies my claim?
A. The Claims Commission will contact you, giving you the option to request a hearing.
Q. Will I need an attorney?
A. No - an attorney is not required, however, the Claims Commission leaves it up to the Claimant to decide if he/she requires an attorney.
Q. Do I need to respond to a motion?
A. Yes. You have 10 working days to respond to a "Motion to Dismiss" and 20 calendar days to respond to a "Motion for Summary Judgment"
Q. The Claims Commission dismissed my claim. What is my recourse?
A. You may file a "Motion for Reconsideration" or appeal to the General Assembly.
Q. Am I required to file interrogatories with the Claims Commission?
A. Yes.
Q. I have found an out of date state warrant (check). How can I obtain those funds?
A. If you have the warrant, just mail it in to this office, along with your current address. We will then check it out to make sure that no duplicate has been issued and, if not, we will prepare and send you a set of complaint forms to sign before a Notary Public. If you do not have the warrant, you must contact the agency that originally issued it as ask them to send this office a "Notice of Outdated Warrant" form.
Q. What is the maximum dollar amount can be paid directly from the Claims Commission?
A. $15,000.00. Anything over that amount must be referred to the General Assembly for approval.
Q. If the Claims Commission decides in my favor, how long will it take to get my monetary award?
A. Approximately 10 -14 days, assuming the award is not appealed by the Respondent agency.
Q. Where are you located?
A. Our street address is 101 E. Capitol Ave, Ste 410. We are located on the 4th floor of the old Main Street Mall building between 6th, Main, & E. Capitol Streets.
Q. Is there parking available?
A. There is paid parking available around our building, or in the parking deck adjacent to our building on 6th street.